Welcome to Geroprotectors.org, the curated database of geroprotectors!
The risk for many chronic diseases increases as we age. These diseases include cardiovascular and metabolic syndrome-related problems such as type II diabetes, atherosclerosis, hypertension, myocardial infarction and stroke, as well as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. Studies show that some agents which extend the lifespan in animal models may also be effective in humans. Geroscience, which aims to conserve the healthy state of the body, may therefore become a key concept in biomedicine in the near future, as chemicals become available which slow ageing and prevent or delay the onset of age-related diseases.
A “geroprotector” is any intervention that aims to increase longevity, or that reduces, delays or impedes the onset of age-related pathologies by hampering aging-related processes, repairing damage or modulating stress resistance.
The Geroprotectors.org database comprises more than 250 life-extension experiments in 11 wild-type model organisms (including M. musculus and C. elegans, among others). We gathered data about more than 200 chemicals promoting longevity, including compounds approved for human use. This database integrates information about lifespan-increasing experiments and related compounds, suppression of aging mechanisms, activation of longevity mechanisms and age-related diseases obtained from research papers and databases.
Geroprotectors.org is intended as a tool for accelerating the process of identifying geroprotectors from a variety of existing substances through pharmacological modeling and biostatistical analysis to reveal new substances with geroprotective effects.
For the purposes of citation referring the URL might be enough in some cases (e.g., teaching and websites), for scientific publications we ask that you cite Geroprotectors.Org using:
Moskalev A et al. Geroprotectors.org: a new, structured and curated database of current therapeutic interventions in aging and age-related disease. Aging (Albany NY). 2015
We thank the following for their contributions to the project, either technically or academically.
- Alexey Moskalev - Project leader
- Alex Zhavoronkov - Project leader
- Vladislav Bogomolov - Developer
- Alexei Scerbacov - Developer, Xpansa Global
- Roman Gurinovich - Technical Management, Xpansa Global
- Elizaveta Chernyagina - Compilation of data for the database
- Mikhail Shaposhnikov - Compilation of data for the database
- Vasily Tsvetkov - Compilation of data for the database
- Evgeny Bronovitsky - Compilation of data for the database
- Alex Aliper - Compilation of data for the database
- Arie Budovsky - Compilation of data for the database
- Diogo Barardo - Compilation of data for the database
- Harikrishnan Thoppil - Compilation of data for the database
- João Pedro de Magalhães - Testing and constructive criticism
- Vadim Fraifeld - Testing and constructive criticism
- Andrew Garazha - Testing and constructive criticism
- Leslie C. Jellen - Testing and constructive criticism
- Brian Kennedy - Testing and constructive criticism
- Polina Mamoshina - Testing and constructive criticism
Disclaimers, Conditions of Use, Feedback and Copyright
The creators of Geroprotectors.org do not assume legal liability or responsibility for the completeness, usefulness, or accuracy of the information, products, or processes found in documents and software available on this site.
While Geroprotectors.org provides information on certain types of diseases, this information does not serve as medical advice. If you or someone you know suffers from a disease covered by Geroprotectors.org, a qualified physician should be consulted. The makers of Geroprotectors.org accept no responsibility or liability for any costs, claims, losses or expenses originating from reliance on content or information found within this site.
Our database may be freely linked to. To generate multiple queries, retrieve large amounts of data or download the database in its entirety, please contact us in advance to avoid overloading our server. Failure to do so or any other misuse of Geroprotectors.org by hacking or generating spam, for example, will result in blockage of your IP address.
Please contact us in case of errors or if you wish to propose additional information to be included in the database.
In summary, Geroprotectors.org is free to use for all purposes, including educational, research and commercial purposes, provided that Geroprotectors.org is cited in all presentations, publications, and so on, originating from this work.
How to cite Geroprotectors.org